Thailand : Church Planter, Central Thailand (OMF)
TEAM is partnering with OMF International in Thailand. OMF’s growing ministries in east Asia include everything from church planting, youth outreach, and medical ministries to teaching and working among minority people groups.
Church planters are needed to plant churches in small towns and district cities in Central Thailand. Planting churches in small towns and district cities. This ministry is to be done through personal evangelism, small groups Bible study, and discipleship training Thailand is still more than 65 percent rural. People live on small farms (rice, fruit, rubber and small cash crops). Besides farmers these small towns have government workers, merchants, and in some areas factory workers. These people would be more of the focus than the farmers in the small town and city ministry. Many of the older generation never had an opportunity to study in schools, and those who did often finished only grade 4. Today children are required to study through level/grade 9, but often do not complete this adequately. This often means the country people of Thailand do little reading, are not broad minded in their thinking and cannot resolve crises in an orderly way. They are financial insecure and many are in debt to loan sharks. All of these problems bring into the church many difficulties and joys. The church planters must be able to relate closely with the people who live under such tensions. Love, grace and patience is needed.
- Engage in personal evangelism
- Lead small group Bible studies
- Discipling believers
Interested applicants can apply either through TEAM (see below) or OMF.
Qualification & Experience
- Personal evangelism and relationship skills are needed
- Patience and persistence in teaching people with no biblical background or understanding.
- Friendliness and initiative are important qualities.
- An ability to work alongside of Thai Christians and with other missionaries is important.
- An ability and desire to share the gospel is essential.
- Basic teaching skills are appreciated
- Men and women with (1) a strong walk with the Lord, (2) a heart to see the Thai church grow in numbers and maturity, (3) a concern for quality in their work, and (4) a strong sense of team spirit
- Recommend experience in small churches
- Formal Bible training resulting in one or more of the following:
- Certificate in Christian Ministry and Bible Training
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Bible or Theology
- Masters or higher in Divinity, or related field
- Ten people needed
- Single, couple, families
- Commit to at least four years of service
- Complete member application process including: application forms, interview, medical and psychologyical review
- Raise full financial support
- Attend Orientation Course in Singapore before coming to the field
- 1st year in full-time Thai language, culture and worldview study, located in Central Thailand
- 2nd year move to a ministry location, begin transition from full-time to half-time langauge study until the completion of full language and culture program
- Conform to a lifestyle that matches that of your ministry context. Some locations will present living challenges, for instance, a simple rural living situation where there may be no running water and access to supplies and services is distant. Others can be located in an urban setting with standard Thai housing where population density is high and lifestyle is busy, with people and activity all around. Lifestyle in Thailand can range from the most simple and challenging, to very comfortable.
- For English as second language applicants, these levels of English assessment are required:
IELTS - 5.0
TOEFL - 500 (173 in TOEFL computer version)
TOEIC - 675
OPE - 3.0
TEAM missions coaches are ready to answer your questions about becoming a missionary and help you find a place to serve.Talk To A Coach